And What Followed...

Sunday, August 6, 2006

Six weeks later

Alas, the new room in the village had NO DSL. And for some reason I can't access my dial-up either. I only have access online when I go to the "main house" of the village. Only two computers are provided for the entire community and are available only during business hours, thus there is usually a wait and a time limit. My point: I should be able catch up with my e-mail by 2010.

Last night, for the first time in six weeks, there was nothing between me and the sky. The stars were dim but palpable. Though having to wear a heavy surgical mask prevented me from breathing in the night air, I could feel it in the pores of my skin and it was delicious.

There is quite a bit of wildlife on campus. I saw a hawk swoop by clutching its prey. I watched a cottontail bunny rabbit in the grass munch on a guava. A squirrel came up to my door, hoping for a treat. Hummingbirds and butterflies flit and whizz by. It's like a mini- animal park.

My energy wanes from low to extremely fatigued so I am not romping through the grass just yet. But it is SO GOOD to feel the sun and the wind and the earth.

much love,
Christine

No comments: