And What Followed...

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A little set-back

Well, I just found out today that I've contracted a dreaded viral infection. No one can say where it came from. In addition to the concerning "chimeric" transplant, it also explains why my blood counts are not rising. For normal healthy persons, this virus is common and does not cause any acute problems, but it can prove fatal for newborns and those with "suppressed immune systems" (moi!) Thankfully, it is treatable with heavy medication. 15 years ago, it would have been curtains for me, so in a strange way, I'm "lucky" to have contracted it now. It's amazing how far medicine has come in just a short matter of time. It's another mountain to climb over but I'm just hoping to see waterfalls on the other side.

My hair is slowly growing in. It sort of feels like thick peach-fuzz, or a little chihuahua. I've finally mastered the G-D-C chords on the guitar. Visitors are staying longer. Walking is easier but is still exhausting, but with each day I am walking farther and walking longer, even if it is just a few extra feet.

Like all of us, I'm just taking it one day at a time. And putting trust in God. Today was warm, sunny and beautiful... and I'm
breathing it all in while I can.

love,
Christine

No comments: