And What Followed...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Live Like You were Dying

Fly now dear one
to your new home above
though my arms ache to hold you
I know you are safe in the loving arms of our Father
I lay my hand on my heart
and say another prayer

though I cry out for the pain you endured
I know that you are no longer suffering
and when I look up at the stars tonight
May you lay your hand on your heart
and smile down upon us all
and love like sunshine moonbeams
will still rush between us


The best way to remember those who've left us too soon is to live life fully, to dance while on this earth, as we carry their spirits within us.

Looking back on all the friends lost to cancer too soon, remembering, crying, praying, questioning and eventually accepting- what soon happens inside is a resolve. A resolve that is heart-strong and love-fierce.

Cancer may kill the body and while that is already devastating, if we allow it to also kill our soul, that is tragic.

I’ve seen people whose bodies survived cancer but whose souls did not. And yet others, such as Britti, who did not survive her cancer but whose soul and spirit lives on. Cancer can be tenacious, but so can we.

Whenever I am in a place where I hesitate out of fear (such as shyness or uncertainty) I remember. I remember the fighting spirits of those before and think to myself “If they were given the chance to live just one more day and were right here at this very moment… what would they do?"

Remembering Robin and her amazing spirit and love of life. Remembering how she lived fully, with grace and beauty even as she knew she was slowly dying. Living for her daughter and continuing to love and be there for her husband and family. Remembering that no matter how dire the circumstances, she always took the bull by the horns…

And remembering that Tim McGraw song that goes…

“I went Skydiving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchu…”

And happening to be at a Western-style cowboy bar recently….

Knowing how fun-loving she was, I imagined that Robin was there with me and I thought "If Robin was right here at this very moment… what would she do?"

And then a smile came to my face.

"Alright Robin, this one is for you..."



Skydiving will be happening in some weeks, but for now, I decided to tackle Fu Manchu... at least a mechanical one.


"Love Deeper
Speak Sweeter
Give forgiveness you've been denying
Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.
-TMcgraw

In fierce remembrance and love,
Christine

No comments: